Blueberries are adorable and delicious little fruits that have a LOT more to offer than flavor. These round little delights also pack a powerful nutritional punch! Read on for some interesting facts about blueberries and health benefits. Oh, and a couple yummy recipes too!
Note: For the MOST power in your blueberry, go for the WILD blueberry.
What are the health benefits of blueberries?
- Blueberries are a great source of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, phenolics, and flavonoids. Blueberries are very low in fat and sodium. Blueberries have nutrients like potassium and iron, as well as being a an excellent source of Vitamin C. A 1/2 cup of blueberries equals the amount of fiber in a slice of whole wheat bread.
- Eating blueberries may reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Including, colon and ovarian.
- Blueberries have anti-aging properties…even REVERSAL affects!
- Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit. They help neutralize free radicals which can affect disease and aging in the body.
- Blueberries have anti-inflammatory, anti-blood clotting and antibacterial effects.
- They help promote urinary tract health.
- They have been proved to preserve vision. Blueberry extract, high in compounds called anthocyanosides, has been found in clinical studies to slow down visual loss. They also have been proven to help with eye fatigue.
- Blueberries have also shown to lower cholesterol
- Researchers have found that blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Blueberries help the brain even more with memory. They are benefitial for your short term AND long term memory.
- Heart Healthy. New research shows that blueberries may support cardiovascular health. A research team at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada led by Wilhelmina Kalt, Ph.D., found that blueberry supplementation reduced plasma cholesterol levels. Blueberries may reduce “bad” cholesterol that contributes to cardiovascular disease and stroke.
As you can see, size does not always matter! Blueberries may be small…but they are a HUGE health benefit! Eat up!
Yummy Blueberry Recipes:
Fabulous Wild Blueberry Pancakes
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/4 cup fresh wild blueberries, rinsed well. (can substitute thawed frozen blueberries)
In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Beat egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl; add milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients; mix until batter is smooth and then gently stir in blueberries. Cook over medium high heat.
Tip: Turn the pancakes after small holes form on top.
* * * * * * *
I Can’t Believe How Delicious this is Blueberry Cheesecake!
3- (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 C. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
1- (8 oz.) container sour cream
1 tsp. pure bourbon vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 1/2 C. fresh wild blueberries
Beat cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth. Combine sugar, flour and salt. Add to cheese mixture and beat until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest, beating just until blended. Gently fold in blueberries, carefully as not to break. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 300°F. for one hour and 10 minutes, or until center is firm; then turn off oven and open door. Cool for 30 minutes with oven door open. Transfer to rack and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours, or until completely chilled, before serving.
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. sour cream
Blueberries and lemon rind strips for garnish
Whip cream to soft peaks; then beat in sugar and sour cream just until blended. Spread over top of chilled cheesecake just before serving. Garnish with blueberries and lemon rind strips.
Copyright © Lara Velez, Moms of faith, All Rights Reserved
Do you have some awesome blueberry recipes to share? PLEASE, let us know. You can reply to this post with the recipe, or email it to me; Lara@momsoffaith.com