My business has recently been putting together a series of webinars to help moms in Small Business. Last night our webinar was called Blogging for Small Business. If you had a chance to join us, I think we all learned a lot and took away some great tips for making our blogs even better and more profitable.
I’d like to share some of the ideas presented in the hope that it might help you, too!
1. There are several different sites that will allow you to create a free or low-cost blog. For our purposes, we are just going to discuss the 2 most recognized: Blogger & WordPress. If you are a beginner, I definitely suggest starting out with Blogger as it is MUCH more user-friendly and you are allowed to monetize your site and promote your business for free. If you are already a blogger and have some experience, then WordPress is the way to go. It is much more user-friendly for your readers! Click HERE for a great article about this! The bottom line: If you are a blogger newbie, start with blogger.com The great thing is that as you get the hang of it, you can EASILY import your blogger blog into WordPress so you don’t lose any of the posts you created whenever you’re ready to move up to WordPress!
2. Content is King. Contests and freebies are nice, but people won’t come back to a blog that doesn’t have great content. We discussed how recipes and Early Childhood Education topics are key right now. Moms are looking for that kind of information and if you can write good articles containing key topics like that, you’ll be able to develop a loyal following over time.
3. If you are trying to attract followers to a new blog, you can find some great tips about that here: https://www.dailyblogtips.com/101-ways-to-promote-a-new-blog/
4. Optimize your blog for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) purposes. If you google this topic: “Optimize your blog for SEO,” you’ll find great resources to help you do this. Make sure you are using keywords that apply to your target market but don’t try to take advantage of the system. Too many words in bold, too many backlinks and too many keywords are overwhelming to readers. Choose your SEO practices wisely.
5. Be yourself on your blog. Make sure you have an “about me” section where people can get to know you. Don’t be afraid to share your faith throughout your blog. Write about topics that are close to your heart. Take a stand on subjects that matter to you and ideas that you’re passionate about.
Stand up for me against world opinion and I’ll stand up for you before my Father in heaven. If you turn tail and run, do you think I’ll cover for you? – Matthew 10:32-33 MSG
Until Next Time…
Copyright © MariLee Parrish, Moms of Faith, All Rights Reserved