Twitter is one of the top social networking sites and how to use it properly will only be beneficial to you. Use it incorrectly and you’re wasting your time, losing money and creating a bad reputation for yourself.
Here are 10 things you should avoid doing on Twitter and solutions to remedy the problems.
1. If you’re only relying on using your keyword to find followers, you’re doing yourself a disservice. It’s vital to take the time to check out their profiles and read their Twitter stream. A mention of your keyword or key phrase doesn’t mean it’s their primary interest or niche.
2. Automatic direct welcome messages with your links look spammy and impersonal. Take the time to manually welcome new followers. This is a good time to get to know them a bit.
3. Networking isn’t about constantly promoting your business. It’s a turn off for your followers if they see you tweeting business links one after another. You start to look robotic and people wonder if you are a real person. Mix it up and let people see a personal side to you.
4. When you have a lot of followers, it’s easy to miss tweets especially if you’re also working on other tasks. When your followers respond to you with a @yourname reply be sure to respond. Check your @yourname replies and if hours have lapsed, send them a direct message.
5. When you re-tweet your followers, don’t add your own self-serving business link in with the tweet. Not only is it bad etiquette, it’s spammy. Instead give a reason you’ve chosen to do a re-tweet.
6. Fridays on Twitter is known as Follow Fridays with its hashtag #FF or #FollowFriday before a list of people to follow. Include your reason for the recommendations. People want to know why they should follow so and so.
7. Avoid profanity when tweeting. You shouldn’t be cursing up a storm as it’s unprofessional and offensive. Many people don’t tolerate it and will unfollow you. There are ways to get your point across without swearing.
8. Tweeting rapidly can easily fill up your followers’ time line and it’s annoying. Pace yourself between tweets and give your followers the chance to read and possibly respond.
9. One of the worse things to do on Twitter is promote how to get thousands of followers. It’s not about quantity, but the quality of followers you would like to connect with and help grow your business.
10. People aren’t receptive of repetitive tweeting. Change up your tweets to offer variety.
Avoid these 10 Twitter blunders and start networking the proper way so you can meet and connect with people who value what you offer.
Copyright © Moms of Faith, All Rights Reserved