In my early years homeschooling, I found it very challenging to teach my daughter the Biblical Truth of how the world was created. The reason it was so difficult was because just about every place you go that deals with nature, talks about evolution and evolving. I had to be very creative and constantly reiterate the Truth. It can be a tedious task, however, well worth it!
7 Tips to Implement Creationism in an Evolutionary World
1. Evolution is like a Religion. It takes far more faith to believe we came from goo than to believe a loving God Created us. Evolution is unproved. God’s Word is infallible. Evolution eliminates God from the equation. Creation makes God the center of everything.
Biblically, the earth was never referred to as “flat”. The fact that Columbus went out to prove it was clearly a sign that the men of that day did not read their Bible. In Job it says…
He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth on nothing. – Job 26:7
And this was written loooooong before man “discovered” the earth was round and that we lived in a solar system! There are many places that show God’s Word was “ahead of its time.”
2. Taking God at His Word. The Bible is very clear that it took six days for God to create the universe. Two Scriptures that stand out are;
And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day. – Genesis 1:5 (KJV)
Clearly, one day.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy. – Exodus 20:11 (NLT)
Again, He made it clear by having Moses add this bit into the book of Exodus.
You see, we must teach our children that God’s Word is the FINAL authority for everything, We must train them to believe and understand that it requires a childlike faith in the One Who loves them, and saved them from an eternity in hell. These Scriptures helped me…
Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it. – Luke 18:17 (NKJV)
We need to trust and believe. It is as simple as that. Yes, the world will try to sway us and yes, they will mock us. However, God IS, WAS and ALWAYS shall be, and one day every knee will bow before Him. Until then, we must choose to take Him at His Word and be light in this world.
Timothy, guard what God has entrusted to you. Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge. Some people have wandered from the faith by following such foolishness. May God’s grace be with you all. – 1 Timothy 6:20-21 (NLT)
Getting into long winded discussions over the topics should also be avoided. They are VERY dangerous! Either we believe God’s Word is Truth, or we do not. We cannot pick and choose the portions we want to believe and discard the rest.
Inasmuch as we refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ. – 2 Corinthians 10:5 (amp)
3. Adaptation over Evolved. God did not make a reptile that decided to “evolve” into a bird one day. And, whales did not decide they did not want to live in the ocean anymore, and “evolve” into cows. I do not care how many millions and billions of years need to be believed for this to even be considered. It is simply hog wash! He made reptiles reptiles and birds birds. Any changes are not into completely new species, there are only adaptations to their environment–not evolution and complete 180’s! It is VERY clear in the Word of God:
And God said, Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creeping things, and [wild] beasts of the earth according to their kinds. And it was so. And God made the [wild] beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and domestic animals according to their kinds, and everything that creeps upon the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good (fitting, pleasant) and He approved it. – Genesis 1:24-25 (amp)
4. Have the Right Resources. If you want your kids to understand Creation and be well educated in the facts, the right resources will be required. There are tons of Creation Science resources for parents. A couple that I use are; The Creation Interpretation by Catie Frates. She is an educated and respected Creation scientist and this book is written in a very easy to understand format. I love it and use it often. She also has another resource that I got when my oldest daughter took a homeschool science class with her. It is a workbook made just for kids called; Creation Science for Kids. It is very hands on and fun for kids.
Do your own search. Just type in Creation Science resources for homeschoolers, parents, kids, etc. You can probably find a ton of free resources that way as well.
5. Make it a Lifestyle. You really need to pay attention. If you are watching a nature show, train your children to find the lies. This will help them recognize truth over false statements. Any time my kids watch something and/or hear billions of billions of years or evolution, they quickly say, “That’s a lie!” God Created the universe in SIX days!” or, “Nope, the earth is only a few thousand years old! Not billions!” or, “Nope, GOD made them that way, they did not evolve!” They get it and they catch it, even when I miss it! Sometimes it is quite subtle!
It is also good to talk about how creative God is and what a beautiful world HE Created. Always bring it back to the Lord.
6. God not Mother Nature. In recent years, I hear a lot about “mother nature” and how she is responsible for things in the natural world. Um, no. That is another lie. GOD Created all things in nature, not anyone or anything else.
When a natural disaster happens it is not “mother nature” OR God punishing everyone (although I am sure there are some cases of judgement). It is the weather system that is in place that was Created by God and sometimes storms come. Sometimes they cause a lot of sadness and turmoil. However, it is part of life in a sinful world. Man CHOSE to sin and with it came death, sadness, chaos and pain. The good news is that Jesus overcame sin at the Cross and we can spend eternity in Heaven with the Creator of all things.
7. Make it Fun. Kids learn better when it’s fun. There are many ways you can come up against the lie of evolution in a fun way. A few ideas…
- Big Bang
TheoryLie. Take a bucket of blocks and have your child dump them out on the floor, then place them all back in the bucket and repeat about 3-5 times. Ask them if they think a perfect castle will just happen if they dump the bucket enough. They are sure to laugh at the sheer silliness of the idea.
- Billions of Years
TheoryLie. If the earth was as old as evolutionists believe, it would have frozen long ago. Earth is in a giant freezer (space). The core is hot, but billions of years passing, makes me think it would not be so hot anymore. Thousands…yes. Billions…um no. A great experiment is to boil a couple eggs and put one in the freezer and one at room temperature until cool. Then, peel both and cut in half. Touch the yolks and determine if they cooled at the same rate or not. Earth is very hot inside and is spinning through ice cold space. What would you determine? Thousands or billions of years? (This idea came from the Creation Science for Kids workbook by Catie Frates)
- Read Creation Story. Find a good age appropriate book about Creation week and read it to them!
- Take a Road Trip. If possible take a trip to the Creation Science Museum in Ohio. (there may be others as well. Research it!)
- Google Creation Science fun, experiments, etc.
God created the Universe. HE alone is the Creator of all things. We must trust His Word and believe!
For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So men are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification]. – Romans 1:20 (amp)
In closing, please keep in mind that it requires time, patience and training our children to trust and fear the Lord, if we want to win the battle over the lie of evolution. Pray hard and make sure you are hands on about it and never get lazy. I really believe that is why I have an 18 year old who has such a deep and strong faith. She will not waver and I believe with all my heart, she will be a force for the Kingdom, because I was obedient to the Lord and TRAINED her well! Yes, I made mistakes–but God is far more powerful than any mistakes I can make. I simply picked myself back up and continued to press on! Victory is the ONLY option for me!
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. – Proverbs 22:6
Copyright © Lara Velez, Moms of Faith, All Rights Reserved