Fashion is always changing and evolving, and it’s hard to stay relevant amidst the craziness of life as a mom. Especially as a Christian mom, is it okay to want to be fashionable? How much is too much? Where do we shop? What do we wear? What is appropriate? I think everyone has to answer this question honestly in the quiet of their own heart, with the help of the Holy Spirit. Only He knows our hearts as individuals, and He can correct us if we are idolizing fashion or any other thing.
But I’ve come to the conclusion that in small doses, and in financially faithful ways, I can still pick a few staple items per season to ground my wardrobe firmly in the land of relevance without accumulating massive amounts of credit card debt.
If you’re one of those people who naturally adore fashion, this post might be a no-brainer. But for the rest of us, who find ourselves staring in a dressing room mirror asking, “Does this look okay?”, I’ve compiled a list of some fun summer fashion “must-haves.” These items are ageless, flattering on every shape and size, and hopefully they won’t break your bank, either.
5 Summer Fashion “Must-Haves”
1. The Kimono: Has anyone noticed that these things are everywhere? What used to be relegated to the backs of wardrobes and vintage shops is now front and center. The best part about this half silk robe, half sweater is that it’s user-friendly. It looks good on every body shape. It takes shorts and a tank top to a whole new, breezy level. Wear it over a bathing suit on the beach for chic coverage; pair it with jeans or shorts, and you’re good to go. Even if your summers are boiling hot, the lightweight material won’t suffocate you. And the pattern options? Endless. Flowers, chevron print, animal print, stars, polka dots–you pick your poison. I’m digging this romantic (and affordable) little number from Tilly’s:
2. The Wedge: Heels aren’t for everyone. They are tricky to strap on and even trickier to walk in. One little rift in the cement and down you go. But! The wedge is appropriate for any age, any style, any body. They are safe, too, with the wedge making a more stable base for you foot and heights that are less precarious than some heels. And this summer, a simple brown leather wedge is where it’s at. Wear them with skirts, with wide legged pants, with skinny jeans, with bermuda shorts, with jean shorts, with maxi dresses…you may end up never taking them off. Here’s an affordable, adorable option:
3. The Sleeveless Denim Shirt: I mean, who doesn’t love a denim shirt? It’s loose, it’s comfortable, it’s breathable. It goes well with patterned shorts, colored denim, khakis, tucked into a pencil skirt. And it gives you a chance to let your arms drink up some sun, too. Again, this is a timeless choice. Yes, a high-school student might have the same shirt. No, you will not look like you are trying to be her– just classic, chic, and summer friendly. And this one from JC Penney’s is economical too:
4. The Maxi Dress: The maxi has been around for a while and is a popular summer fashion. Yes, it’s still around. Yes, teenagers wear them too. But so can you! It’s got the perfect ratio of summer, modesty, and femininity in my opinion. And this one from Loft, while expensive, is a great investment. Wear it with a denim jacket, a pair of flats or sandals or those gorgeous brown wedges you’ve got, and a colorful statement necklace? Right on the money. The best part about Loft is that it has 40% sales about twice a month on all of their regularly priced items, so this one is sure to come down a little bit for those who wait:
5. The Straw Hat: Once upon a time I used to love the sun on my face. Two babies and some melasma and sun spots later, I lather up in sun tan lotion and prefer to observe the glory of a golden day beneath some sort of canopy. But this little straw hat is less than fifteen bucks at H&M, and it is perfect! For you, for me, for every woman everywhere. It’s a universal choice, and you know that denim shirt we just talked about? So cute with it. That maxi dress? This is the finishing touch. You bathing suit & kimono pool side? The icing on that sunning glory cake. It’s more feminine than a baseball cap, it’s less country than a cowboy hat, and less drabby than its wide-brimmed cousins. Protect your skin and look sweet while doing it:
Five items! That’s it! Five sweet little summer fashion items that can be a little bit of an energy boost to an otherwise tired wardrobe. And thanks to the internet, you can Google away until you find the best possible deal for your money on each of these. Enjoy the summer, enjoy your femininity, enjoy the gift of the artful hands and eyes that create our fashion.
What are your summer fashion must-haves?
Copyright © Charis Freije, Moms of Faith®, All Rights Reserved