Today we’re exploring the vehicles that carry goodness to our faces: makeup tools. I love how every single person has their own way of putting on make up. No two friends do it the same, and I think I learn from every girl I watch. Some people are secretive with their makeup, but I’m not. And I am here to exchange ideas, and receive them from you! My makeup arsenal has grown over the years, thanks to a generous mom and mother-in-law who send me makeup kits for Christmas and birthdays, and also thanks to a passel of friends who went to beauty school. And instead of stuffing my makeup tools in drawers or bags, I like to place my brushes brush-side-up in little glass vases and display my choices in little baskets on my bathroom counter. Maybe you’re a diva too, and do the same. But if you’re not, just try making your makeup look like a little girl’s dream and see if it doesn’t help you enjoy the making up process of makeup.
6 Makeup Tools I Love…
1. Basic Moisturizer: So technically, this doesn’t seem like a makeup tool. However, moisturizer is now so vital in my routine that it might as well be considered THE tool. I love Clinique’s Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief. I know, intense name. But after I had my kids, my face went through an identity crisis. Am I dry? Am I oily? Am I a teenager again? This moisturizer has helped talk sense back into my skin. I hope you have a moisturizer, and one that will help enhance your skin. It doesn’t hurt that this Clinique one is nice to look at, too.
2. Sponge Wedge: I love liquid foundation because it works for my skin and my pore size. And I’m kind of a freak about changing out the sponge every week, since I begin to break out pretty easily. Even now, at this ripe age. It keeps me young at heart, and humble too. So I buy sponge wedges at Walmart for pennies on the dollar, because I go through them quickly and because I like the angled look. I know, it’s not all about aesthetics. But to me, it sometimes is. Try a wedge, see if you don’t convert.
3. Bronzer Brush: Maybe it’s because I lived in California, or because I am blond, but I think bronzer is the quintessential item of makeup. I love to look bronzed. Don’t judge me. I’ve had my oompa-loompa days and I am happy to say I believe they are behind me. But I still cannot do without a little swipe of bronzer. And I love this brush from Sephora: the Pro Bronzer Brush #48. It’s got dense bristles, a wide base, and a nice thick handle that makes it easy to locate. And it does its job well.
4. Daily Brush Cleaner: So I am a freak about my sponges being clean, and I also like a clean brush. I probably don’t do it as often as I should, but there was a time when I had never cleaned my brushes and one of my sweet friends pointed out how clumpy my bronzer was getting. She advised me to clean my brushes every few weeks. It’s made a world of difference. And with this cheap ELF Studio Daily Brush Cleaner from Target, I can afford to do it too.
5. A Clean Mascara Wand: I know. I sound crazy, but I think any and all OCD tendencies of mine can be found in my makeup rituals. And a clean mascara wand, as in, one without any mascara on it, helps me separate my lashes. Clumpy lashes drive me nuts. And if you’re a chronic clumper, do yourself a favor, and wash a mascara wand with nice precise bristles (I use an empty Loreal Telescopic mascara wand) and use it after you’ve allowed your mascara to “set up” after application for about thirty seconds to separate your lashes. You will never go back to clumps.
6. Angled Eyeliner Brush: I think I’m seeing a trend in my own preferences, but I love this angled brush. I can’t do harsh eyeliners, so I stick to using a darker shade of brown eye shadow as my eyeliner, and these brushes do the trick. I simply use them at an angel on my lash line before mascara application, and I can get a nice, thin line of concentrated shadow that serves as eyeliner. This Angled Eyeliner Brush from Nars is sublime.
Those are my weapons of choice, what are your favorite makeup tools?
Copyright © Charis Freije, Moms of Faith®, All Rights Reserved
Pin for Later!