And He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.” – Mark 14:36 (NKJV)
I have come to know this Name well. I have even been criticized for using the phrase “Daddy God” in prayers and devotionals.I am not here to debate with anyone on this topic. I know that I know that I KNOW He is Daddy to ME.
There are MANY debates as to whether Abba means simply “Father” or the more intimate terms of Papa and Daddy.
I believe Him to be my Daddy. I have come to this conclusion in my own personal time with Him and as I spent time in His Word.
As I studied this topic, I was puzzled by His use of Abba AND Father. If He only meant “Father”, why start with Abba? Why not just say, “Father, Father…” ??
In this text, Abba translated in Hebrew means Papa or Daddy. Abba translated in Aramaic translates Father. Jesus did not ONLY speak Aramaic. He also spoke Hebrew and Greek…and I am sure any other languages He needed to know!
Also, Father (from this text) is translated as; “My Heavenly Father.”
With this knowledge, let’s read the Scripture again…
And He said, “Daddy (Abba), My Heavenly Father (Father), all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.” – Mark 14:36
You see, Jesus had His earthly father and then He had His other Papa…His Heavenly Father. He started out intimately, Daddy…My Heavenly Father…
Everything in me believes that God, the Creator of all things, the All Powerful and Mighty God, WANTS us to know Him as DADDY!
How do I know this??
Think about how He loves us–just like a daddy!
He redeems our life, He lavishes us in abundant mercy, He is slow to anger, and He keeps His promises. (Psalm 103)
He has an awesome plan for us! (Jeremiah 29:11)
He is Faithful. (Hebrews 10:23)
He is with us and we are PRECIOUS in His sight! (Isaiah 43:4-5)
He sent His Son (His first born among many) to save us! (John 3:16 and Romans 8:29)
Our names are written on the Palms of His Hands. (Isaiah 49:16)
NOTHING can separate us from His love! (Romans 8:35-39)
Oh, can you see?? He loves us so much!
He can be nothing but DADDY to me!
He is that and SO much more…
– HE IS INCOMPARABLE. THERE IS NONE LIKE HIM: II Samuel 7:22 says; Therefore You are great, O Lord God; for none is like You, nor is there any God besides You… No other religion has a God like ours. HE IS!
– HIS WAYS ARE PERFECT. HE IS PERFECT: Psalm 18:30 says; As for God, His way is perfect!
– HE IS OUR ROCK AND SHIELD: Psalm 18:30-31 says; …He is a shield to all those who take refuge and put their trust in Him. For who is God except the Lord? Or who is the Rock save our God? It says it right there…if we will take refuge…He will shield us. How many of us actually take refuge in Him?
– HE IS THE CREATOR OF ALL THINGS: This is covered in Genesis 1. Isaiah 40:12, 22 & 26 as well as countless other verses. What other God created the Universe?
– HE IS EVERLASTING: Habakkuk 3:6 says; He stood and measured the earth; He looked and shook the nations, and the eternal mountains were scattered and the perpetual hills bowed low. His ways are everlasting and His goings are of old.
– HE IS JUST, TRUE, MIGHTY AND SOVEREIGN: Revelation 15:3 says; …Mighty and marvelous are Your works, O Lord God the Omnipotent! Just and true are Your ways, O Sovereign of the ages. Sing that for a while and you’ll feel His presence all around you.
– HE IS MY STRENGTH AND MY SONG: When I am weak I know I can count on Him to be my Strength. Exodus 15:2 says; The Lord is my Strength and my Song…. Keep reading that chapter alone for many reasons to love Him.
– HE LOVED US FIRST: I John 4:19 says; We love Him, because He first loved us.
– HE IS OMNIPOTENT (ALL-POWERFUL): Jeremiah 32:17 says; Alas, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by Your outstretched arm! There is nothing too hard for You.
– HE IS OMNIPRESENT (EVER-PRESENT): Read Psalm 139:7-12. He is always here…He is always there. You are never alone. What other “god” can say that?
– HE IS OMNISCIENCE (ALL-KNOWING): I John 3:20 says; …For He is above and greater than our consciences (our hearts), and He knows and understands everything, nothing is hidden from Him.
Be encouraged and know that you are loved by the Creator of All things and that He is YOUR DADDY!
Note: I will not debate Daddy, Father, Papa, with anyone. Save your argumentative comments. HE IS DADDY to me and anyone who WANTS Him to be!
Copyright © Lara Velez, Moms of Faith, All Rights Reserved